Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Iris -- Goddess of the Rainbow

When I was in high school, I was a "Latin" geek. I took three years of Latin in high school, because I was so interested in mythology.  Since there were only about fifteen of us in third year Latin, our teacher asked each of us to choose a Latin name.  So I chose the name "Iris." 

Iris was the goddess of the rainbow, and the messenger of the gods. She was the goddess of the sea and skies, and as the rainbow arcs from the sky to the sea, she was believed to replenish the rain clouds with water from the sea.

My real reason for choosing that name was because of the iris flower, which has as many different color combinations as the rainbow. 

Probably the most beautiful iris of them all is the bearded iris.  My daughter has taken quite an interest in these beauties and has given me some as well.  The following pictures were taken in her garden over the last couple of weeks.  I don't know the names of these lovelies; I just know that they take my breath away.







This one is in my front yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment