Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Rose by Any Other Name....

Although not really a rose at all, the tuberose has a deliciously sweet aroma, with enough heaviness in it so as not to be very 'perfumy.'   It's a member of the amaryllis family, and thus, a lily.

After all the rearranging in my front yard, I still have one tuberose left, which has risen proudly on its 3+ foot stalk each July for the last several years.

First you don't see it, then you do! That's how quickly this plant grew. It's right next to my hydrangea by the front porch, so I probably should have noticed it before it grew to this size.


I know there are single and double tuberoses...mine is a double, I think.


The blossoms are like little trumpets, and they have such a wonderful scent.  It's sort of like jasmine, but not. I know that doesn't make sense, but that's the only way I can describe it.


There are so many buds, and they don't all open at once. That helps to prolong the fragrance for several weeks.


This picture was taken over a week ago, and the flower is still blooming. Its stalk is quite tall; almost four feet, and does need help staying straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment