Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Alyssum Assignment - Finished!

I bought these plants the middle of March. The plan was to put in the strawberry jars which contained strawberries from last summer. There was one problem---I couldn't get the old strawberry plants out. They had begun to grow again and the roots were so tightly packed I decided to just stick the alyssum in with the strawberries.

When I began to transplant into the strawberry jars I discovered that the root systems on the alyssum were really small. They lost almost all of the dirt around their roots when I took them out of their flats.  But I persisted and managed to get about half in the strawberry jars.  The rest have been put in various pots around the back yard.

At first I was very disappointed with their appearance but they are now filling out and spilling over the rims of the jars. 


Here are some that I stuck in a pot with pansies.


4 comments:

  1. nice blog... have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! So nice of you to stop by my blog and leave such a kind comment. I am lovin your blog and am now a follower. It is so good to meet another local blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I was delighted to find another south Alabamian with a blog. It's so nice to meet you. I wish I had more time to do this. It's such fun! Hope you are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish they bloomed longer. The heat gets 'em pretty good here in the South. The smell is wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete