Sunday, April 18, 2010

Nothing Could Be Finer Than To See The Carolina....

Jessamine, in the morning!!!  Also called Carolina jasmine (Gelsemium sempervirens), it provides greenery year-round, especially for areas that call for a 'climber.'  My jasmine started off very small, on either side of my front gate, and quickly found a perfect home on top of my front fence.  Last summer we gave it a haircut, which only served to increase its growth.

The yellow, tubular flowers produce a distinct, almost pungent, fragrance.  It's not what I would call sweet at all. But I like it, because it's unique.  The bees definitely find it attractive.

Before we cut it back last year, it had completelly covered the front gate.  Now it respectfully stays on either side of the gate, and with a little encouragement from me, it will behave itself.









This year the carolina jasmine and bridal wreath bloom seasons overlapped a few days.



The bees were giddy to have found such a delicious nectar so early in the season. My jasmine was blooming by early March!

No comments:

Post a Comment